Disclaimer: Inductee's biography/statistics are current upon the year of their induction into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.
The Women's Basketball Hall of Fame's Board of Directors serves as the selection committee in determing which individuals are inducted each year.
Click Here to nominate an individual for induction into the Hall of Fame.
Senda Berenson Abbott
Class of 1999
• Often referred to as "the mother of women's basketball"
• Pioneered women's basketball as director of physical education at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.
• Modified the original rules of "Basket Ball", invented by Dr. James Naismith at the International YMCA Training School (now Springfield College), for her female classes as a means of exercise, stressing socialization and cooperation rather than competition
• Served as Chairperson of the Women's Basketball Committee for 12 years
• Authored and developed the first basketball guide for women