State Farm Tip-Off Classic
Baylor wins 2012 State Farm Tip-Off Classic
No. 1 Baylor beat No.6 Kentucky 85-51 on Tuesday November 13 in the State Farm Tip-Off Classic in front of 8,538 fans.
Baylor only led 19-13 nine minutes into the game, but then realed off a 19-2 run and close the first half with a 46 to 19 lead. The defending national champions would not look back beating the defending SEC champion Wildcats by 34 points.
Baylor's Brittney Griner led all scorers with 27 points. She became the 42nd player to score more than 20 points in the State Farm Tip-Off Classic. Destiny Williams added 14 points and 12 rebounds, becoming the 43rd player to record a double-double in the Tip-Off Classic. Kentucky was led by A'dia Mathies, who finished with 12 points.
State Farm Tip-Off Classic Highlights
• The State Farm Tip-Off Classic, in its 20th year, is the longest-running early-season event on ESPN
• The SFTOC is the primary fundraiser for the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and serves as the platform to announce the newest class of inductees each year
• This event has become synonymous with the start of the women’s collegiate basketball season
• In 2009, the SFTOC was changed from a doubleheader to a single game and a brand new logo was unveiled (see above)
• This year Baylor is making their fifth appearance in the SFTOC. It will be the first appearance for Kentucky in the SFTOC.
• This year marks the first time that the SFTOC has been held in Waco, Texas
• Tennessee defeated Ohio State and Texas Tech defeated Vanderbilt in the inaugural State Farm Tip-Off Classic in Jackson, TN, in 1993
• Oklahoma and DePaul set a SFTOC record in 2006 when Oklahoma scored a record-high 105 points and the two teams combined for a record-setting 176 points at Oklahoma.
• Former LSU standout Seimone Augustus holds the record for most points scored with 33 in 2004
• Forty-three players have recorded a double-double while participating in the event
Drive to the hoop with State Farm Auto Insurance