Skip to content
View Larger Image
Class of 2009
- Legendary African American athlete from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Played center for the Philadelphia Tribune for 18 years, losing only six games, all of which were to men’s teams
- Considered the greatest African American athlete of her generation and the finest black female basketball player of the pre-World War II era.
- Washington was considered one of the most valuable players on the team and was often its top scorer
- Inducted into the Black Athletes Hall of Fame in 1975
- Inducted into Temple University’s Sports Hall of Fame in the mid-80s.
- Also a star tennis player, went undefeated in 12 years of play in the all-black American Tennis Association (1934-1936), won eight ATA national crowns in women’s singles (1929-1937)